Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Reflective Wednesday

We have been doing two days of school in one, so we can have Friday off.  Yep, I'm determined to have that three-day weekend.  Build myself up for whatever the holiday week may bring. 


Can you believe in the midst of all this cold, I'm thinking about laundry?


Do you remember wash day?  We all spent so much time at Grandma & Grandpa's, and they had a wash-house with an old wringer washer, wash tubs, and a bathtub.  We'd sit on the edge of the bathtub and watch Grandma hold the clothes just right as she fed them thru the wringer.  I'd wonder if it hurt when her fingers would get in the way of the rollers.  And wondered if I could have a turn to feed the laundry through.  She'd always have to adjust it whenever it was time to run the boys' jeans or Grandpa's overalls through.  And she'd talk to us, tell us stories as we sat and watched.  Then it would be off across the yard to the clothesline, where she had a cart that someone had made to hold her basket while she hung the wash.  We would play on the swingset where she could keep an eye on us, then, when she was done, we'd go in the house til it was time to check the next load.


Thank you, Grandma, for making us a part of your life. 
~sjb~

1 comment:

  1. I remember that.Do you remember the smell?I remember the smell and it was a very clean smell.

    ReplyDelete